Monday, January 14, 2008

Why the French are not fat

It has occurred to me during the first week living here that there are no obese people living in France. A very good change of scenery I may add. You don't really have to worry about getting stuck behind two fat people at the mall partially because there are no fat people and the other part because there are no malls. I have come up with my own theory as to why the French are not fat so follow if you can.

1. The portion size here is incredibly small. Even in the grocery stores, portions are not that big. There are no Sam's Clubs or BJ's around here where you can buy giant tubs of pretzels. For instance, I can fit my fingers around a bottle of beer.
2. You must bag your own groceries at the grocery store. That is also assuming that the grocery store you are in supplies bags. At the checkout lane, there is a cashier who rings everything up just as in America. However, they just sit there and after ringing an item up, they push it aside and keep going on to the next item. At first I thought o so they bag everything at the end. Then the cashier put a bag on top of the groceries and I paid and they continued ringing the next person's groceries. Therefore, there is an incentive for buying less; you have to personally bag less.
3. Most people do not drive to the grocery store. They WALK. So the more you buy, the more you must hike back to where you live however far away it is.
4. When you finally get home, you must then walk up the stairs to your apartment since elevators have not been installed in the buildings.

If you followed, you will understand the predicament that would put a person like me in. I like to eat. I like to eat a lot. And I don't particularly love elevators, but they are a hell of a lot better than 4 floors of stairs. I have thus found 2 ways around the system the French government has put in place to prevent obesity.
1. Go grocery shopping daily or even sometimes twice a day so you never really have too big of a load of food. OR
2. Go grocery shopping every couple of days but stop at every bakery while walking and eat some bread so hold yourself over.

No comments: